Friday, June 30, 2017

Q&A WITH TOM FUGATE AUTHOR OF PORT IN A DESERT STORM






Tom Fugate is a 1978 graduate of Virginia Tech.  Born in the baby boom (1956) he still lives in his hometown of Hiltons, Virginia.   He has worked in radio, television news, the printing industry and in computer support.  Port in a Desert Storm is the fourth book in the memoirs of Lee Thomas.  Mr. Fugate has never worked for any government agency, but he did grow up reading a lot of spy novels.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK





Title: PORT IN A DESERT STORM
Author: Tom Fugate
Publisher: Independent
Pages: 304
Genre: Espionage/Thriller

July of 1990. The world is once again a dangerous place. The powder keg that is the middle east is once again ready to explode. The small oil rich country of Kuwait has been invaded by the forces of the Saddam Hussein, the dictator of Iraq. The world is on the brink of war as a coalition is formed and preparations are made. Lee Thomas is once again right in the middle of the situation even before it starts. Sometimes your dreams can turn out to be nightmares, or even worse they can turn out to be reality. From Washington, DC to MI6 Headquarters in London England and then to the hotbed of the Middle East Lee is once again a witness and participant to history.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Amazon | Barnes & Noble



What first inspired you to write or who inspired you?

I guess that the thought of creating something that other people would enjoy inspired me.  I had been telling stories and making stuff up since I learned to talk.  It was probably Ian Fleming and Robert Heinlein who inspired me most to write.  They both wrote some of the first non-children’s books that I remember reading.  James Bond and Space opera.  I guess that is a weird combination 


At what age did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I think that the day I found out that people got paid for telling stories.  I was probably about 10.  I started my first book in high school.   It was bad. 

Do you have a day job?  What do you do?

I have been doing computer programming and support for well over 20 years and still do that.  Now most of the work like that is for individuals rather than companies.  Maybe I am a semi-retired computer support person.

Can you name three writing tips to pass on to aspiring authors?

1.      Sit down and write.
2.      Get feedback.
3.      (probably most important) don’t try to write like someone else. If you don’t like it no one else will so be yourself. You will figure out your own voice.

What hours do you write best?

Some of my best material has been written very late at night (or early in the morning depending on your point of view).  I write best when I want to write. There are things that I have written at various times of day that I really think are good.

How often do you write?

This is one of those that I guess we all have been asked.  With me I am always working on things.  I am creating and tweaking things in my head constantly.  People tell me stories that trigger something that will end up in something.  I probably create and edit constantly but I am not always doing the physical act of writing.

Are you an avid reader?

Yes.  I probably got that from my father.  He would read anything that was handy.  My mom reads a lot but she is more selective than dad was.  I prefer espionage/thrillers (imagine that), mysteries, some fantasy, occasionally horror and lots of science fiction

What are you reading now?

As of today I am reading “Trigger Mortis” which is a James Bond novel that takes place just after the events of Goldfinger.  It is written by Anthony Horowitz and contains material that was written by Fleming. I am also reading “The Last Colony” by John Scalzi.


What are you currently working on?

I am working on the fifth of the Spy Dreams Series.  This one is titled “unFriendly Persuasion”.  In this book, Lee is now running the agency.  The story kicks off with a shootout in a Wal-Mart.  There is at least one more of that series kicking around my head.  I am also going to write a novel featuring Sylvia Pyne,  She was introduced to my readers in “Cigarettes for Two” and came back in a big way in “Port in a Desert Storm”. There is also a story percolating around my brain about Lee’s boss and some of his exploits working for the OSS in WWII.

There is also a mystery in the works that is entirely stand alone.  It began one day when my mother asked me to bring her some cinnamon, yeast, bug spray and nail polish remover.  My mind works in mysterious ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment