Thursday, June 29, 2017

MEET THE AUTHOR: 'POP-OUT GIRL' IRENE WOODBURY @irenewoodbury





Irene Woodbury’s third novel, Pop-Out Girl (2017), pushes a lot of buttons. It’s a gripping look at the tumultuous life of a 23-year-old showgirl-wannabe named Jen Conover who pops out of cakes at special events in Las Vegas for a living. The novel offers riveting glimpses into the loves, lives, triumphs, and tragedies of Jen’s family and friends as well.

Irene grew up in Pittsburgh, and has lived in Chicago, Los Angeles, Honolulu, and Denver. The University of Houston 1993 graduate also called Texas home for seven years. Her writing career began In 2000. After five years as a successful travel writer, she switched to fiction. Irene’s first novel, the humorous A Slot Machine Ate My Midlife Crisis, was published in 2011. The darkly dramatic A Dead End in Vegas followed in 2014. Pop-Out Girl is another dramatic effort. With her husband, Richard, editing, Irene completed the novel in eighteen months. She hopes audiences will enjoy reading it as much as she enjoyed writing it. 

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK





Title: POP-OUT GIRL
Author: Irene Woodbury
Publisher: SynergEbooks
Pages: 188
Genre: Commercial Fiction

When Zane Hollister returns home to Las Vegas after two years in prison and discovers his showgirl-lover is with another guy, he goes ballistic. After stalking and taunting the couple for months, his toxic jealousy takes a darker turn. To wipe out Colton, Zane masterminds a devilish zip line accident and a terrifying car crash. When those fail, he resorts to kidnapping Jen and forcing her to marry him. And it gets even worse when Zane shoots Colton’s boss, Matt, by mistake as he aims for Colton in a horrific drive-by shooting.
        
With Matt lingering in a coma, Jen’s cocktail-waitress mother, Brandi, absorbs a seismic shock of her own. After hearing Matt’s name on the local news, she realizes he’s her first love of decades past—and Jen’s real father.
        
Will Matt emerge from his coma to reunite with Brandi and Jen? Do the cops nab Zane, who’s hiding out in Hawaii? And can Jen and Colton’s love survive Zane’s lethal jealousy?
           
There’s a happy ending for some, but not for all, in Pop-Out Girl.

ORDER YOUR COPY:

Amazon | Smashwords


What first inspired you to write or who inspired you?


Being around the family bookshelves as a child inspired me. I would pull encyclopedias off the shelves and sit on the floor looking through them. My mother taught me to read at age five and I was off. Reading eventually led to writing, I think.


At what age did you know you wanted to be a writer?


I started writing poetry at age nine or ten. Maybe at that point I thought I would be a writer.


Do you take notes when reading or watching a movie?


If I’m working on a novel and something I need for a chapter or scene comes to me during a movie or while I’m reading, I will jot some things down. 



Has writing always been a passion for you or did you discover it years later?


At age nine or ten, I started with poetry. That went on for years. As a teenager, I wrote a journal for two years. It was on eight-by-eleven paper and I ended up with 750 handwritten pages. I think that really turned me into a writer because the journal became a refuge, a place of comfort and safety. That’s very seductive and trains you to want to write.


Do you have a day job?  What do you do?


No day job.


Can you name three writing tips to pass on to aspiring authors?


Don’t double-write your leads. Check the second graph of your chapter or story and see if that’s really your lead and then delete the first graph.

In revising your book or story, change the order you read in to gain a fresh perspective. With a book, read the last chapter first and move to the front of the book. This enables you to find mistakes and see things you couldn’t see before.

If you have an idea for a book or story, but don’t know how it ends, start writing and figure it out later. Just get something on paper to work with and the details will come to you at some point.


Do you let unimportant things get in the way of your writing?


If I’m tired or not feeling well, yes. You have days when you’re not as productive, but it’s all part of the process. Tomorrow will be better.


What hours do you write best?


Mornings, from 8 to 11.


How often do you write?


Every day, unless I’m on vacation. But even then, there are always social media or marketing things that have to be done.


Are you an avid reader?


Yes. I love books, magazines, and newspapers.


What are you reading now?


Slipstream, an autobiography of a British writer named Elizabeth Jane Howard. I love it.


What are you currently working on?


I’m marketing my new novel, Pop-Out Girl. I look forward to starting another novel in six months to a year. Maybe something humorous, or a sequel to Pop-Out. We’ll see.

1 comment:

  1. Eccentric Bookaholic, thanks for being part of my PUYB blog tour ! I enjoyed the interview -- interesting questions. Your site looks wonderful -- Continued success to you as a reader and writer -- Irene

    ReplyDelete