Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Christina Nicole Smith Talks Books



Christina Smith is an entrepreneur, consultant, mother, and published author. "Joseph's Journey" is her first children's picture book.

Born and raised in the Bay Area, she grew up in a house with 3 children, WITHOUT the white picket fence and no dog! However, there was lots of love and laughs to go around. When she was about 10 years old, she thought she was going to be the "next coming" of Whoopi Goldberg! Well, "life happened" and "that" did NOT happen, but in 2014 she was able to cross ONE ITEM off of her bucket list and perform stand-up comedy in front of a live audience.

When she's not homeschooling her son or driving him all around town to his various activities, some of Christina's favorite things to enjoy are: PEET'S COFFEE, the local library, a throw-your headback, "that brought tears to my eyes" kinda laugh; organic, gluten-free, dairy free, non-gmo food (did we mention she's from the BAY AREA?) and good music.

Christina is a certified graduate/alumnus of, certified professional speaker/author, George Ramirez' "Present with Purpose" (2008) & two-time student of his "The Miracle in the Mirror" programs. She has received a Certificate of Recognition from California State Assembly in Honor of Graduating from the Women's Initiative for Self Employment and dedication to empowering the quality of her life and her community (2007). 

Additionally, she is a student of Certified Rebirthing-Breathwork Practitioner, Iris Nelson. She holds an Associates degree in Legal Administration/Paralegal Studies from
Heald Business College.

WEBSITE | TWITTER | YOUTUBE


About the Book:

As a mother, how do you explain an absentee father to your child without blame, anger or resentment? Empower them! Seven-year-old Joseph shares his story about when he first learns about
the POWER of choice he possesses after his father leaves and doesn't come back. His mother teaches him the difference between his father’s choices and his own. Do Joseph and Mom become angry with Joseph’s father? Well, a belief is just a thought you keep thinking over and over...find out what happens on Joseph’s Journey!

Amazon | Barnes & Noble


Welcome, Christina! Do you have a day job aside from writing?

You could say that. It’s not a traditional “9to5” and I don’t get paid…

What do you do? 

I’m a homeschooling mother. My son is in 6th grade.  I’m also pregnant with my second child, a girl.  I am married to her father and he has been a wonderful father to Joseph also!

Can you name three writing tips to pass on to aspiring authors?

I’d be happy to!

1.      If you are getting into the children’s book arena, and you want to self-publish, you don’t always need an illustrator. You can use high quality, royalty-free graphics to illustrate your book. Sometimes, we indie authors are on a budget but still want to produce a high-quality product.  It is possible! As a matter of fact, the book cover of the 2nd edition of Joseph’s Journey was created using a high-quality, royalty-free graphic!
2.      Fiverr.com can be your “best friend” for finding a service provider for converting your PDF print book into an ePUB version so you can sell it in online outlets like Amazon and iTunes.
3.      If you want to get your book into libraries, I suggest publishing through Ingram Spark and making sure that you include a Publisher’s “Cataloging-In-Publication” block on your copyright page. If you don’t know how to do this yourself there are online service providers that will do this for you at an economical rate.


Are you an avid reader?

YES!!

What are you reading now?

A book by a fellow indie author, “Black Bart: The Search is Over” by Robert E. Jernigan & Wiley Joiner.  I enjoy non-fictional literature over any other genre!


Has writing always been a passion for you or did you discover it years later?

No. Writing has not always been a passion, but reading was.  I always loved to read since I was a young child.  However, when I was in school, I had to learn to write essays about things that I was not particularly interested in so, writing was more like a chore back in those earlier years.  But, later in life, in my late 20s, I discovered I was a wonderful writer!  People was always asking me to help them with their writing.  For example, I have a degree in Legal Administrative Assistance, so people I knew would ask me to help them word & write business letters and help them prepare legal documents. I truly enjoyed writing and preparing legal documents because not only was I confident in my ability to do so, I enjoyed it and I saw that I was truly helping people formulate their words into a document that could assist them in a huge way personally.  I also found my voice with comedic writing.  I loved to write jokes and performed my own material on stage in 2014.  I got some laughs and it felt great! I never thought about writing children’s books until I became inspired to write one through experiencing what some may call a tragedy in life…when a father leaves their child and doesn’t return.

I’m working on my next children’s picture book called the ABC’s of Social and Emotional Intelligence.  As a homeschooling mother, I interact with many parents and educators online as well as offline.  One of the major concerns of parents and educators alike is how to incorporate social and emotional intelligence learning into the classroom seamlessly. Social and emotional intelligence is learning about your feelings and how to navigate those feelings to make choices for one’s highest good.   Choices that not only effect you, as an individual, but others as well.  Remember that old manager you had at work who just seemed like they didn’t have good communication or social skills? Almost all of us have experienced one of those!  Now, just imagine if this person had been taught social and emotional intelligence at a young age and practiced those skills into adulthood.  I sincerely, hope to make a difference by publishing this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment