Monday, October 10, 2016

Book Confessions from Robert J. Dornan, author of 23 Minutes Past 1 A.M.



Robert J Dornan is someone who wishes to leave a better world to his children. He realizes that the odds are slim but he will do whatever he can to increase the probability of success.  He is always open to discuss new and innovative ideas and hopes someday to see the building of a functional solar city as well as a fair and community-driven compensation system.

Robert’s latest book is the historical fiction, 23 Minutes Past 1 A.M.

For More Information
About the Book:

In the early morning of her sister's wedding day, Mila Kharmalov stared in stunned silence at the coloured sparks streaming from Reactor Four of the Chernobyl Nuclear Plant.  At that very moment, her life and the lives of everyone she knew changed forever.

Years later and on another continent, Adam Byrd was writing biographies for everyday people looking to leave their legacy in book form. When the woman he loved phoned from Kiev offering him the chance to write the story of a lifetime, he jumped at the opportunity not realizing that his voyage would be a bumpy ride through a nations dark underbelly. With the help of his friend's quirky cousin, Adam is nudged into a fascinating adventure of love, greed, power and psychotic revenge, culminating with a shocking finale.

23 Minutes Past 1 A.M. is a work of fiction based on factual events from Chernobyl and villages throughout Ukraine.

For More Information

  • 23 Minutes Past 1 A.M. is available at Amazon..
  • Discuss this book at PUYB Virtual Book Club at Goodreads.

What first inspired you to write or who inspired you? 

Most of the time I draw inspiration from my children.  I’m always thinking of leaving a legacy of some sort and books are part of that plan.  As for what first inspired me, I’ll have to answer, no one special.  Since childhood, I’ve had an active imagination and the desire to put these thoughts and visions on paper came naturally.

Has writing always been a passion for you or did you discover it years later? 

The desire to write has always been apparent but I don’t think there was an innate passion until later in life.  In fact, 23 Minutes Past 1 A.M. is my proudest writing achievement and I began writing this in my fifties. Passion can fizzle and reignite several times over so saying I’ve always had a passion for writing would be untrue.

Can you name three writing tips to pass on to aspiring authors?

1.       If you edit or remove any part of your book based on what someone or some group will think of you, then you should power off your computer and take up a new hobby.
2.      Research, research, research
3.      Edit, edit, edit

Do you let unimportant things get in the way of your writing?

LOL. Define unimportant.  Of course I do.  I am not someone who will force myself to write at a specific time every day, and to add, I work a full time job so I’m often too tired to think, let alone write.   I’m a happy, singing, dancing, undisciplined scribe.

What hours do you write best? 

Weekend afternoons during the winter.  Don’t know why but I can write twenty pages a day in the winter. I guess it has a lot to do with not having anything else to do but I think there is also a blanket hush that allows for a deeper concentration.

How often do you write?

Once I get on a roll, I’ll write five times a week. I’m involved in other projects so there are days that writing has to take a backseat.

What are you currently working on?

I’m currently working on the sequel to a teen novel called Jack City.  It will detail where the character Keta came from and how she arrived in Jack City.  I’m also working on a very ambitious project called Sins of the Samurai.  If 23 Minutes Past 1 A.M. carves a niche for me in Historical Fiction, then Sins of the Samurai will be my piece de resistance. Thank-you for taking the time to read my interview.  If you would like to talk about my books or about sustainability projects, I can be reached at jackcityguy@gmail.com.  Take care.


No comments:

Post a Comment