Monday, September 26, 2016

Bookish Confessions with Ms. Johnnie Renee, author of 'Living In My Father's Dream: Weep Me Not'



Ms. Johnnie Renee is a first time author. She is the mother of an at-risk adult child, so she is accustomed to street life, visions, and dreams. Inspired by the eyes of a dead rapper, Ms. Johnnie Renee hopes that by writing this book (though it depicts street life) that a child's mind can be freed from violence, and drugs.

Her latest book is Living In My Father’s Dream: Weep Me Not.

For More Information
  • Visit Johnnie Renee’s website.
  • Connect with the author on Twitter.
About the Book:

Title: Living In My Father’s Dream: Weep Me Not
Author: Ms. Johnnie Renee
Publisher: JR Perez Imprint
Pages: 426
Genre: Urban Fiction

A powerful love story, not between a man and a woman, but a real father and his Mafia-bred son ANTONIO "SHAWN" PEREZ, JR. The only grandson of a Mafia drug lord, Shawn wanted to become a drug dealer at the age of twelve, but his dad said no. Just to teach Shawn that drugs are a killer, his dad made him sit in a country chair and watch him OD. Twenty-one years later, and still mentally screwed, all Shawn wants now is to be free from the memories of his dad's death, and for his grandfather to stay out of his life. Little did Shawn know, that the day he sat in that chair, his grandfather saw his strengths to watch his dad die, and wanted him as a one-time hitman for the family. Now, in order to be free, he must complete the job assigned to him by his grandfather. His job: To kill the baddest drug dealer in the hood. 
Living In My Father's Dream is available at Amazon.

What first inspired you to write or who inspired you?

I remember thinking to myself, or, I would often say to myself that I was going to write a book before I died. I didn’t know what genre, what story or structure, or why I kept saying it to myself. Somehow, I just knew it was my destiny. Then, one day I looked into the eyes of a dead rapper, and started writing.

At what age did you know you wanted to be a writer?

Oh, I would say around 55. I remember, I would beg God to let me be a stay-at-home writer.

Do you take notes when reading or watching a movie?

No. I’m obsessed with getting to the next level in writing. I rarely watch a movie. I don’t watch TV. I only take notes of the many thoughts that come through my mind.

Has writing always been a passion for you or did you discover it years later?

I discovered it years later. I remember, I walked into the kitchen. I don’t remember why I went into the kitchen, but I remember thinking to myself, I’m going to write a book before I die. Then along came Living In My Father’s Dream: Weep Me Not aka The Tears of God.

Do you have a day job?  What do you do?

I did. However, I just quit my job two months back to try and figure out how to market the book. I asked my husband to give me another month or so to figure this out, and then I would look for work at a temporary agency.

Can you name three writing tips to pass on to aspiring authors?

Yes. (1) If you get confused, and things are just not working out, seek the advice of an editor. There are a lot of writer/editors out there that understand where you are, and what you are going through. Just send in a chapter or two. You will find that many are willing to add an addition comment or two (at no charge) in the margins of your document. Sometimes that one little comment clicks on a light on in your mind. (2) ‘Go to local writing clubs held at libraries in your community. A lot of people don’t know the power library’s have behind them, and they are there to serve the public, offering classes, and all sorts of community activities. (3) Follow the three-act structure, and you’re off to a good start.

Do you let unimportant things get in the way of your writing?

Yes. Besides writing, I should have been a counselor. I feel empathy for people and their problems of the world. Therefore, I sit and listen to endless conversations on the phone. I even listen patiently to things I’ve heard over, and over, and over again, wishing I could just get back to my writing.

What hours do you write best?

Any hour works best for me. It’s when do I write best, and that’s when no one is home.

How often do you write?

I write every day, all day, minus the time I have to do things for my husband, or answer a phone call for an unimportant conversation.

Are you an avid reader?

No. I will admit that I’m not. I’m more prone to read a book on writing or the Holy Bible before I find casual time to read a novel. Well, I won’t say that totally true. I do read novels that have controversy behind them. I like to know what the big fuss is.

What are you currently working on?

I’m working on marketing Living In My Father’s Dream: Weep Me Not right now. I’ve heard some say that marketing is easy, but it’s not. It’s very difficult and time consuming. I pray I can get over this hurdle so I can start my next project: Promise Me.


No comments:

Post a Comment