Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Bookish Confessions of Michael Phillip Cash, author of 'The History Major'



Michael Phillip Cash is an award-winning and best-selling novelist of horror, paranormal, and science fiction novels.  He's written ten books including the best-selling “Brood X”, “Stillwell”, “The Flip”, “The After House”, “The Hanging Tree”, “Witches Protection Program”, “Pokergeist”, "Monsterland", "The History Major", and “Battle for Darracia” series. Michael’s books are on the Amazon best-seller list and have also won numerous awards. Additionally, he is a screenwriter with 14 specs under his belt. Michael resides on the North Shore of Long Island.

Michael’s latest book is The History Major.

For More Information
About the Book:

After a vicious fight with her boyfriend followed by a night of heavy partying, college freshman Amanda Greene wakes up in her dorm room to find things are not the same as they were yesterday. She can't quite put her finger on it. She's sharing her room with a peculiar stranger. Amanda discovers she's registered for classes she would never choose with people that are oddly familiar. An ominous shadow is stalking her. Uncomfortable memories are bubbling dangerously close to her fracturing world, propelling her to an inevitable collision between fantasy and reality. Is this the mother of all hangovers or is something bigger happening?

For More Information


What first inspired you to write or who inspired you?

I’ve been writing since I’m 15 years old. Then, I read the screenplay for Pulp Fiction. I then knew I wanted to write screenplays.  Quentin Tarantino was definitely my first inspiration. Then I started turning those screenplays into novels when I found www.createspace.com. 

Do you take notes when reading or watching a movie?

Absolutely! My son and I have been watching classic movies all summer long.  The Goonies, Indiana Jones, Bill & Ted…etc…My laptop is open the whole time because my subconscious is going to be yelling at me about some awesome ideas that are probably relevant to the movie I am watching.

Can you name three writing tips to pass on to aspiring authors?

1.      The Coen brothers, Charlie Kaufman, Quentin Tarantino never tried to guess what Hollywood would make. They wrote their obsessions and so should you.
2.      There’s not one exec in Hollywood who knows what audiences want to see next year. So write what you want to see.
3.      Here’s a tip for getting unstuck: Stop staring at the computer. Open a notebook and handwrite it or talk the scene into a recorder.
All three quotes by my hero – Brian Koppelman.

Do you let unimportant things get in the way of your writing?

No. I don’t believe it getting stuck on petty things. I’m not a petty person, so my day is generally easy peasy. Plus, I have a really supportive wife, and my kids are super awesome. They give me no heat whatsoever.

What hours do you write best?

8am to 4pm is research and development. Dinner is at 5pm. Playtime and movie time with my kids until 8ish. I write like a beast until midnight.

How often do you write?

Every day. Every single day. No rest for the weary.

Are you an avid reader?

I am a voracious reader, but my books are generally not what’s on the top ten bestsellers. I read a TON of self-help and spiritual books. I also read countless health books.
What are you reading now?
The Four Hour Chef. Back to the Future The Screenplay. Three Magic Words. The Cholesterol Myth.

What are you currently working on?

I’m in the middle of three novels. One novel is completed ‘Dragged Down Deep’. Think Creature from the Black Lagoon meets Indiana Jones.  My agent is shopping it around to some major publishers.  I also have Witches Protection Program II and Monsterland II nearly done.  I also have three scripts I’m working on – Neandythanl, I Am Colossus and Will. Stay tuned…



No comments:

Post a Comment