Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Interview with Paulita Kincer, author of 'Paris Runaway'



Paulita Kincer has an M.A. in journalism from American University. She has traveled to France 11 times, and still finds more to lure her back.

She currently teaches college English and lives in Columbus, Ohio, with her three children, two cats and one husband.

Her latest book is the women’s fiction, Paris Runaway.
For More Information
About the Book:

When divorced mom Sadie Ford realizes her 17-year-old daughter Scarlett has run away to Paris all
she can imagine are terrorist bombings and sex slaves. After learning her daughter chased a French exchange student home, Sadie hops on the next plane in pursuit. She joins forces with the boy’s father, Auguste, and the two attempt to find the missing teens. The chase takes Sadie and Auguste to the seedier side of Marseille, where their own connection is ignited. Since the divorce, Sadie has devoted herself to raising kids and putting her dreams on hold, but when her daughter needs her most, Sadie finds that concrete barrier to life beginning to crack. In her journey, she learns the difference between watching the hours pass and living.

For More Information


Can you name three writing tips to pass on to aspiring authors?

·        You have to write to be a writer. It doesn’t matter how many stories you have in your head. Only the ones on the page count.
·        All writers learn so much about themselves as they go through the editing process. Be willing to listen and make changes to improve your books.
·        Don’t keep making the same writing mistakes over and over again. Understand your mistakes and figure out how to overcome them as you write. Then you can focus on other improvement next time.
Writing is a long, uphill journey and never the fast coast downhill we’d prefer, but that uphill journey strengthens our muscles and make our stories better.

What hours do you write best?

I am a morning person. I know that disgusts a lot of people, but I can’t help it. I’ve always been like that. My eyes pop open and I want to hop out of bed and see if I’ve missed anything. My best time for writing is the morning, but that’s also my best time for exercising, so often it becomes a sweaty tug of war as to which I will accomplish.

Are you an avid reader?

Yes, I love to read. When I was a kid, my mom would take me to the library only once a week, and I would carry out a huge stack of books. By the end of the day, I had finished reading all those books. Luckily, I didn’t mind revisiting them throughout the week, until I could go to the library again the following Saturday.
I usually have a print book that I’m reading, along with an ebook on my Kindle so that I’m never caught without a book.

What are you reading now?

Saved By Cake (Over 80 Ways to Bake Yourself Happy) by Marian Keyes. Keyes is one of my favorite chick lit authors, so I’ve read all of her novels, but I recently read an article shared on Twitter about how she dealt with depression by baking cakes. This book is a result of that. It might be a mistake though, since I just started a diet today.

Has writing always been a passion for you or did you discover it years later?

I have always wanted to be a writer and have always written stories. In my basement, I have a box filled with notebooks that are full of my imaginings. I usually wrote in whatever genre I was reading, so pioneers during the Laura Ingalls Wilder phase, and mysteries during the Boxcar Children phase. Luckily, my stories are more original now.

What are you currently working on?

I’m working on a book titled Autumn in Aix, which is a sequel to my first novel The Summer of France. I’m more than halfway finished with Autumn in Aix, which tells the story of Fia, who moves to France with her teenage twins to run her uncle’s bed and breakfast. Newly divorced, she’s overwhelmed with raising her children alone and adjusting to life in a new culture, until she’s distracted by Ali, a Middle Eastern/American man, who seems enthralled discussing why countries, like France and Germany, should give back the art they have pilfered from other countries. Fia and her French lover Christophe worry that Ali might have a plan to terrorize France, or at least relieve the Louvre of one of its famous pieces of art.

I hope you’ll look for Autumn in Aix, but until then, please consider a short trip to France in Paris Runaway.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the interview. What fun questions that really got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the interview. What fun questions that really got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excited to hear how far you are on your Summer in France sequel! And, yeah, I kinda hate your perky morning person attitude!

    ReplyDelete