Friday, July 15, 2016

Suppose: Interview with Mystery/Suspense Author DJ Adamson





Award Winner at the Midwest Book Festival and Nominated for a Clue Award in Suspense, DJ Adamson is the author of the Lillian Dove Mystery series and the mystery/science fiction trilogy Deviation. Author, instructor, she is also Vice President for the Central Coast Sisters in Crime and Membership Director for Sisters in Crime, Los Angeles. She is an active member of Mystery Writers of America.

Her latest book is the mystery/suspense, SUPPOSE.

For More Information
About the Book:


What did he want to know about me?”

“If you were still alive.”

Connivers, murder, and the international shipment of drugs unites the local PDs and the Federal Government, and drags Lillian into a hailstorm of manipulation and danger, whereby she is given two choices: Join? Or die trying?

For More Information

  • SUPPOSE is available at Amazon.
  • Discuss this book at PUYB Virtual Book Club at Goodreads.

What first inspired you to write or who inspired you?

Seinbeck, Edgar Alan Poe, Salinger, Hemingway, etc.  I was reading these authors at the age of twelve and knew someday I would work to craft my own words into stories. 

At what age did you know you wanted to be a writer?

My mother used to say I came out of the womb holding a pencil and a piece of paper wanting to record the moment. I can’t not-remember wanting to write.

Do you take notes when reading or watching a movie?

I do notate when reading. I like reading Kindle for this purpose, it’s easy to highlight those areas I want to come back to and re-read.

Do you have a day job?  What do you do?

Don’t most authors, artists, musicians, actors?  Only a few in these industries make enough to live and retire on.  I worked in Sales and Marketing for twenty-five years. This gave me the ability to learn skills in copywriting, promotion, advertising. I retired from that industry and I am now teaching college classes, logical argument. By teaching others how to write, no matter the form or genre, I continually remind myself.  I teach to learn. Also, a little money is the bank helps.

Can you name three writing tips to pass on to aspiring authors?

Don’t just write to write.  Write to say something new or from a different perspective. Write not to only entertain but to work on the literary forms of the art itself. And most importantly, WRITE.  Don’t do it for the money, the prestige, or the need to be recognized.  Write and put yourself out there for others to enjoy you. That’s what is so great about Indie publishing today.

Do you let unimportant things get in the way of your writing?

Unimportant?  Like house cleaning, gardening, shopping, vacations?  I still consider these important. These tasks get me out of my mind and bring me back to reality. However, nothing keeps me from writing my schedule every day because it’s  important to stay disciplined and in the zone.

What hours do you write best?

Mornings.  The answer came before my fingers could type.  I have always written in the mornings and my characters generally wake me up.

How often do you write?

Four to six hours a day. At least 5 days a week, but if I am working on a second draft, I try to include the weekends as well.

Are you an avid reader?

Rabid reader?  Crazy about reading?  Absolutely.  But I am also eclectic. I read literary and genre, I read fiction and non. I also write and review books and interview authors in my newsletter Le Coeur de l’Artiste. The newsletter comes out monthly and can be found on my website djadamson.com.

What are you reading now?

I read at least four to five books a month for the newsletter.  But, I have on my summer shelf Iris Murdock’s The Message to the Planet and Dostoevsky’s Demons.  I would also like to reader Burke’s Bronte biography, too, if time.

What are you currently working on?

The second book in my science fiction-suspense trilogy is due out at the beginning of 2017, so I am working on it.  Aberration  will offer what is happening in Pinkerton, Iowa from the Sheriff’s perspective.  OutrĂ© gave a young person’s. After it? Lillian three, not yet titled, but due out Fall of 2017.


Again, thank you so much for having me.  I enjoyed answering your questions.  Now, back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment