Monday, April 18, 2016

Interview with Tamara Lush, author of 'Tell Me a Story'



During the day, Tamara Lush writes news as a journalist with The Associated Press. At night, she writes fictional romance tales about complicated, sexy men and the women who love them.

When Tamara isn’t reporting, writing or reading, she’s doing yoga, cooking for her Italian husband or chasing her dogs on a beach on Florida's Gulf Coast. She loves connecting with people on social media.

Her latest book is the erotic romance, Tell Me a Story (Book 1 The Story Series).
For More Information
About the Book:

Title: Tell Me a Story
Author: Tamara Lush
Publisher: Independent
Pages: 102
Genre: Erotic Romance

Bookstore owner Emma Chase attends a sexy literacy fundraiser called Story Brothel in Orlando, expecting a few raunchy jokes and a chance to show off her writing. She’s intrigued when Caleb King, a successful real estate developer in a custom tailored suit, pays to listen to her read from her erotic novel.

Later, the mysterious Caleb with beautiful eyes asks her to read him a bedtime story at his penthouse condo – and she can’t say no to his demands.

But Emma’s been burnt before, and is reluctant to be the plaything of a rich man whose world is so different than hers. She also doesn’t need distractions because her business in danger of closing and everything she’s worked for is poised to crumble. Emma’s made it this far on her own, but as one-night with Caleb turns into more and develops into something deeper, can she trust him when secrets are revealed?

For More Information


What first inspired you to write or who inspired you?

My parents inspired me to write because they inspired me to read. My earliest memories are of my mother and father with books in their hands. I was an only child and growing up in Northern California in the 1970s, we didn’t have a television. My parents read to me, but at a certain point when I was about five, I didn’t like to be read to, because I wanted to read by myself.

My father was studying for his graduate degree in British history and he passed all of his waking hours reading. I’d sit next to him and read my own books. It was my way of spending time with him.

My mother was also a voracious fiction reader and introduced me to early twentieth century American writers, such as Hemingway, Fitzgerald and Jack London. We lived not far from Jack London’s ranch that is now a park, and as a family, we would hike and picnic there. Literature and reading was an expected and normal part of my childhood – and it was almost a given that I would do something with writing when I got older.

At what age did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I started writing in grade school. I’d write little books about adventurous men who were archaeologists or explorers and their equally adventurous girlfriends. Raiders of the Lost Ark was a big influence! Really, I don’t think my themes have changed all that much, I guess.

Has writing always been a passion for you or did you discover it years later?

I obviously had to write as a journalist, and loved it. I first considered writing a romance in my twenties, but had no idea where to begin. As a journalist, I told myself that I didn’t have the imagination for fiction. That I didn’t have the perseverance to write a long story. After twenty years in journalism, I read a non-fiction book about an Italian journalist who is on the run from the mafia. It sparked my imagination. I wondered what would happen if he fell in love with another journalist while on the run – and my first novel was born.

Do you have a day job?  What do you do?

I do have a day job. I am a journalist with The Associated Press. I write news articles, shoot video and occasionally make photos of news events in Florida and beyond. My fiction is infused by my reporting career. And fiction has helped me become a better, more observant news writer, also.

Can you name three writing tips to pass on to aspiring authors?

Read, and then read some more. Read outside of your genre and read the classics.

I’d also suggest signing up to judge a contest or two in your genre. Reading others’ raw work will help you see the flaws in your own.

Lastly, I’d suggest incorporating some sort of exercise plan into your schedule. Writing is a sedentary activity, and sitting isn’t great for our bodies. Neither are computers. Make sure you get outside and look at the sky and breathe some fresh air.

What are you reading now?

I’m reading Sylvain Reynard’s The Shadow and Fran├žoise Sagan’s Bonjour Tristesse.

What are you currently working on?

I am currently working on the sequels to Tell Me a Story. The next episode in The Story Series is Tell Me a Secret.

In all, The Story Series will be four novellas about Caleb and Emma. Only one – Episode Three – ends in a cliffhanger. Episodes two through four will be released in quick succession over the summer, so readers won’t have to wait long to get their fix!

No comments:

Post a Comment