Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Blog Tour: Interview with Kim Harrison, author of 'The Drafter' & 'Waylaid'






Kim Harrison, author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, was born in Detroit and lived most her her life within an easy drive.  After gaining her bachelors in the sciences, she moved to South Carolina, where she remained until recently returning to Michigan because she missed the snow.  She's currently working on the Peri Reed Chronicles, and when not at her desk, Kim is most likely to be found landscaping her new/old Victorian home, in the garden, or out on the links.

For More Information
About the Books:

Title: The Drafter
Author: Kim Harrison
Publisher: Pocket Books
Pages: 560
Genre: Thriller/Suspense/Sci Fi/Fantasy

Detroit 2030. Double-crossed by the person she loved and betrayed by the covert government organization that trained her to use her body as a weapon, Peri Reed is a renegade on the run. Don’t forgive and never forget has always been Peri’s creed. But her day job makes it difficult: she is a drafter, possessed of a rare, invaluable skill for altering time, yet destined to forget both the history she changed and the history she rewrote. When Peri discovers her name is on a list of corrupt operatives, she realizes that her own life has been manipulated by the agency. Her memory of the previous three years erased, she joins forces with a mysterious rogue soldier in a deadly race to piece together the truth about her fateful final task. Her motto has always been only to kill those who kill her first. But with nothing but intuition to guide her, will she have to break her own rule to survive?

For More Information


About the Book:

Title: Waylaid
Author: Kim Harrison
Publisher: Pocket Star
Pages: 100
Genre: Thriller/Suspense/Romance

Worlds collide when Rachel Morgan of The Hollows meets Peri Reed of The Drafter, in this exciting new short story from #1 New York Times bestselling author Kim Harrison!

For More Information


What first inspired you to write or who inspired you?

You want the truth? I was bored out of my mind and had little spending money, so I began to write to entertain myself. One hour became two, which became three, which turned into the weekend, and before I knew it, I was spending way too much time at my kitchen table. I’d found what I liked to do and all that was left was working at it until my skill (which was almost zero) caught up to my drive. But that was like twenty years ago. Now my inspiration comes from watching the people I love working with the unfairness of life and finding that happy ending.

Has writing always been a passion for you or did you discover it years later?

I started writing later than a lot of authors, probably my mid-twenties, actually avoiding everything but the most basic English classes in high school and college to pursue a career in the sciences. But I was an avid reader, and I think I picked up on the niceties of pacing, plot development, and character growth from the sf/fantasy masters of the mid 70s, early 80s. They have stood me in good stead, and I owe them a debt of gratitude.

Do you have a day job?  What do you do?

I’m fortunate enough to write for a living, but before that, I worked a wide variety of jobs including chaperoning an experimental fiber through production, (where I learned to type) ran a licensed family day care, (where I learned how to work with stubborn individuals) and even ran live animal trap lines for tag and release for two years (where I learned how to stick with something tedious and hard for a distant end goal.)

Can you name three writing tips to pass on to aspiring authors?

I have one: write like you have the contract, which means, write with purpose and a goal, not a long term, but short term. One page. One chapter. Whatever you suits you. Don’t go back and rewrite until you get to the end of the story, but do go back and make notes in the margins when you see the need to change something. Save actually doing it for the rewrite, otherwise you will be rewriting the same chapter for a year.

Do you let unimportant things get in the way of your writing?

You mean like laundry or cooking dinner? No. Like playing with the dog or taking the time out to watch a bird splash in the birdbath? Yes.

What hours do you write best?

I write best from eight in the morning, to about four in the afternoon, nonstop scarfing down lunch at my desk. Weekends are my own, but it’s a job, and I put the time in.

How often do you write?

I write every weekday, 6-8 hours at a go, and it’s been that way for a long time. I’m making an effort to cut back so I can increase my activity level, but it’s not going very well.

What are you currently working on?

I’m currently working on the sequel to the thriller The Drafter, called The Operator, which is scheduled for a November 22, 2016 release. I’m also working on the rough draft for a fourteenth volume in the urban fantasy Hollows series which will probably come out in 2017. On my back burner, I’m beginning to collect the ideas and elements I want to work with on a third, utterly new volume that will have a more horror bent to it. I don't expect that to see the light of day for several years, but anything worth having takes time.

1 comment:

  1. I've yet to read Waylaid but it's my favorite already because that's what I've been doing for years. What if this one character from this universe met that character from this other universe. I frequently like playing with other people's toys so I usually write in the fan fiction genre (I have been informed it's referred to as "indie").In fact I was challenged by a friend to write one from a cat's eye view which I did where a cat wanders from her world into the world of the Hallows transforming her into a vampire cat. It was, as most my stories, in my mind for long enough that the only way to be able to really concentrate again was to get it out of my mind, meaning actually putting it down on paper (later computer). It is in pieces here on wordpress for anyone wishing to peruse it. I will get to Waylaid soon. I download books to my kindle since hqaving glaucoma, I can make any book into a large print book.

    ReplyDelete