Tuesday, January 26, 2016

10 Confessions: Kelly Wilson, author of Caskets From Costco




10 Confessions from Authors is our newest feature!  Here you will find authors from all walks of life and all genres telling us their top ten confessions.  Our guest today is Kelly Wilson, author of the humorous memoir, Caskets From Costco.



1.      Caskets From Costco took me ten years to write.
2.      I almost burned the manuscript in my backyar
d, page by page, a couple of years before it was ready to be published.
3.      Many of my family members do not believe that the events in the book really happened.
4.      I had no idea if this book was any good.
5.      I hired an editor to help me with the manuscript after hours of research and meeting her at a writing event.
6.      I had a hard time believing her when she confirmed that the book is, indeed, worth the read.
7.      I spent many hours locked in the spare room of a friend’s house in order to work on the book.
8.      All of the names of the characters in Caskets From Costco have been changed.
9.      A few of the characters’ names are actually bar names.
10.  The title of the book came from one of my writing friends as we shared a bottle of wine, based on a chapter from the book.


About the Author

Kelly Wilson is an author and comedian who entertains and inspires with stories of humor, healing, and hope. She is the author of Live Cheap & Free, Don’t Punch People in the Junk, and Caskets From Costco, along with numerous articles and short stories for children and adults. Kelly Wilson currently writes for a living and lives with her Magically Delicious husband, junk-punching children, dog, cat, and stereotypical minivan in Portland, Oregon.
For More Information
About the Book:

Title: CASKETS FROM COSTCO
Author: Kelly Wilson
Publisher: Gravity
Pages: 182
Genre: Memoir/Humor

For twenty years, I thought that I had been marching through the stages of grief in a straight line. I had been following the formula, crossing each processed grief experience off my list.

Except that I was totally deluded. And I didn’t discover that until Jim, my beloved father-in-law, died. I found myself drying off from my shower the morning after his death, really hoping he couldn’t see me naked. Or, if he could, that he was averting his eyes.

From that moment, my path through grief resembled a roller coaster, spiraling and twisting and turning, circling back around. Echoes of past trauma, including childhood abuse and cheating death, would no longer be ignored. I somehow needed to get from the beginning to the end of this grief adventure, and I don't have a good sense of direction.

But what is always present during a journey through grief, regardless of the path chosen?

Hope.

Caskets From Costco is a funny book about grief that demonstrates the certainty of hope and healing in an uncertain and painful world.

For More Information






1 comment: